Sunday, October 14, 2012

Onto El Salvador

"And  when they realized that the Lord had seen their misery and was deeply concerned for them, they all bowed their heads and worshiped." Exodus 4:31

Today, more so than ever, I am aware of the hurt and suffering in the world. The scripture above says God sees, that He in fact saw and saw it all. Saw not just "misery in the world" but Their misery. Saw the unrighteousness done to them. Saw the unrighteousness they did to others......and.......what? Judged? Condemned? No, "was deeply concerned for them." "God is willing that none should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

Whatever is your misery right now God sees it. He doesn't just see it, He cares. He doesn't just care, He is deeply concerned. His heart breaks on behalf of those He loves. He died for each of us. He loves us all. These aren't just words, they are the truth and they are the life. If a heart is opened to these truths you will be amazed.

So, here I am now in Soyapango, El Salvador. I arrived Oct 4th and when I stepped outside of the airport the heat was overwhelmingly HOT! Let's just say to an extreme HOT!!! I am growing to love this small suburb of San Salvador that is 17km (10 miles) radius and approximately 1/2 million people.

I have gotten settled into my "home" while I am here until Dec 1st. I will be starting some new opportunities to minister this week and I am super excited! My first week here I helped, I guess you can call it that, in two different locations where English classes are taught. While the time with the kids was great my soul yearned for a different ministry while I am here. Like always God never fails and new doors have been opened!

This week I will start working with Barbara Rowe, she is a Christ for City International (CFCI) missionary. Barbara is heading up The Faro Project which is establishing youth centers in San Salvador where pre-teens and teens can gather together in a safe environment, where they can learn vocational skills, get help with homework, and enjoy healthy and fun activities. Most importantly they can learn about God. Many of these kids are challenged by poverty, broken homes, and a sense of hopelessness for their future. The word, "Faro" in Spanish means "beacon" or "light," and these centers are beacons in the inner city that can guide the young people toward a more hopeful and productive life.

Yesterday (Saturday) I went up in the mountain area known as Jicalapa. Argentina, a small village, is within Jicalapa....my next blog will be totally dedicated to my Jicalapa trip. I have always heard and seen poverty in the states, different places I have traveled and here in El Salvador but I can honestly say this was my first time ever in the presence with people living in "this" kind extreme poverty. 


Sileo School Kids
                                                   Altavista English Students



No comments:

Post a Comment