Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Beginning


As I was arriving in Colombia I was reminded of the verse in Jemimah  17:10 "I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his needs deserve." 



Since my life has changed I fully trust in God in all things that I strive to do. Even if I have no idea what He is up to even when I speculate what He may be up to. As soon as my feet entered the airport in Colombia with all the people hustling to lines I just went with the flow. The language barrier is difficult but those that know me the best know I just went and with my hands flopping each and every-way  at times for someone to understand me I made my way through customs and immigration. At immigration most people were being directed to a stopped conveyor belt and suitcases were being searched. As I approached the gentleman that was directing the people to the conveyor belt he did ask me a question and I am sure by my puzzled look he decided to just  hit the GREEN light (thinking to self YES God You are SO favoring me!!!)  the Colombian guard was surely  thinking it is late and we do not want to deal with this  gringo so I just walked through. The GREEN light gave me the "GO" and now I was a  "Free" USA citizen in Colombia, South America.
                                                        
I have been here just three full days and seen so very much from the beauty of the mountainous area to the extremely fast paced BIG town. During the day people are everywhere, motorcycles, taxis, buses and the Colombians have no knowledge of precaution when driving. I do believe one drives as aggressive and fast as one can!!! Pedestrians by no means have the 'right of way' maybe the "get run over way"! You just take a chance each time you go into the streets.


I visited the Boys Farm Tuesday morning for the day. At the airport Tuesday evening were also the arrival of two German girls, Danielle and Jana, they will be here helping with Open Arms Foundation for a year. The boys farm is about a 45 minute car ride up the mountain and 2 hours down by bus!! Nothing like our paved roads maintained by our DOT. The boys were having a First Aid training class when we arrived. The three of us got to participate when they began scenarios of real life  dramatization of needing first aid. Just from being there a day the boys are distant, hesitate with any interaction from visitors, "hard" from the streets and need SO much love...giving, showing love allows one to get to their heart and soul. There is HOPE for each of them. Psalm 33:18 "Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, On those who HOPE in His Mercy."



On Thursday and Friday I went to the Foundation in town. The parenting/pregnancy home for the girls from the street. Also here is the Foundation Church that serves the girls and the people in the community. The very young girls look at me along with the anyone else as "Authority". Yes, I am SO not accustomed to this but I have tremendous HOPE in getting into their heart. The way it works.....A person that is ministering to them gets into the heart of their child then the young mother will come around. Heart of a babe I  definitely have HOPE of getting that accomplished.      


So, may first days in Medellin, Colombia has been an eye opening experience. I feel that it is a privilege to be one of many servants who minister to children who desperately need direction in their lives. Blessings are blocked by sin that is not confessed.

God desires me to be a light, to be a light not only to point people to Him, but to also expose sin. Sin always dwells in darkness; light exposes.

Psalm 66:4 "All the earth worships you and sings praises to you; they sing praises to your name."




 

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing more from my daughter in Colombia and El Salvador as she has listened and followed His call to minister to little children with such broken and sad lives...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying you will have all your strength back soon. Looking forward to hearing more of what God's doing through you in the lives of the people there. Love you.

    ReplyDelete